Health & Social Care

Health & Social Care

At P.A. Duffy & Co our solicitors offer a wealth of knowledge in dealing with health and social care services and can help you to get the results you desire.

Let's Talk

no obligation


Many aspects of the Human Rights Act 1998 are enshrined into legislation that governs health and social care in the UK, including the Care Act 2014. The NHS Constitution also provides that patients have the right to free services, the right to receive appropriate treatment that meets your needs and the right not to be unlawfully discriminated against on grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or civil partnership status.

Here at P.A. Duffy and Co, we have specialised solicitors who are committed to ensuring our clients receive appropriate care and will bring a claim on your behalf if social services have failed to carry out an appropriate assessment or have failed to discharge their duties following an assessment.

How our Human Rights solicitors can help

Our experienced Human Rights Solicitors can act on your behalf to ensure that your rights are upheld. We have expertise in community care, patient rights and patient neglect. We have also been involved in several Judicial Reviews against health and social care authorities.

Speak to our Human Rights solicitors in Dungannon, Belfast and Dublin

For a consultation with one of our experts, call us on 028 8772 2102 (UK) or 01 533 7860 (IE). We will talk through your situation with you and discuss what the first steps are in bringing a case against the Health & Social Care services. We can also answer any questions you may have.

Alternatively, you can fill in our online Contact Form and we will ring you.


How do I bring a case against the Health and Social Care services?

If you or your loved one has suffered following a decision made in relation to Health & Social Care services, you are advised to speak to a solicitor as soon as possible.

If you ask us to represent you, we will start by taking details of the issue and assess what has happened, what human rights have been infringed upon and who is responsible. We will put together evidence in support of your claim and contact the relevant health trust to advise them of the claim.

We will ensure that you have our support throughout and that you are represented by a human rights advocate.

On what grounds could I bring a case against the Health and Social care sector?

There are many grounds on which one could bring a case against the Health and Social care services, these include;

  • Community Care – Community care is a very useful tool for those in need, whether that be because of disability or injury. When such services are of a poor quality it can cause significant detriment to those who require care.

  • Closure of Healthcare Facilities – such as hospitals, clinics, care homes, day care services and walk in centres. Our public health and social services are constantly threatened by governments cuts to public expenditure. At P.A. Duffy and Co our legal team offer our services to individuals and groups who wish to challenge decisions to cut certain health and social services. We are determined to help you get the public care and treatment you are entitled to.

  • Mental Capacity – If an individual lacks the mental capacity to make important decisions about their own care and treatment, these decisions must be made on their behalf and in their best interests. This raises a variety of issues, particularly common are disputes among the individual’s family or loved ones on the correct course of action to take and questions regarding deprivation of liberty.

How can I finance a case against the Health and Social care authorities?

We know that funding a human rights case might be a worry, so we offer a range of options. These include:

  • Legal Aid

  • Legal expenses cover

  • After the Event Insurance (ATE insurance)

  • Private funding.

What is the time limit for bringing a human rights claim against the Health and Social Care sector?

If your case involves a violation of your human rights within the health and social care sector, you may have a longer time limit than most other cases. Generally, the time limit for bringing a human rights claim is one year from the date of the alleged violation.

Have any questions?Live ChatMail Us

Get in Touch

Speak to us with No Obligation

Our team of expert solicitors will be happy to assist you with your enquiry without any obligation to use our services. Contact us using your preferred method and we will gratefully assist.
Contact Details
Call Us From Northern Ireland
028 8772 2102Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Call Us From Republic Of Ireland
01 533 7860Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Contact Our Solicitors

Please fill out the simple form below and we will contact you as soon as possible

By submitting the form, I agree to the privacy policy.

Our Human Rights Solicitors

Conal McGarrityConal McGarrityDirector
Enda McGarrityEnda McGarritySolicitor
Naomi WhiteNaomi WhiteSolicitor
SEO& Web design by Vudu