Accident in a Public Place

Accident in a Public Place Claims

Whether you have an accident in the park, a supermarket or grounds owned by a local council it is likely that someone will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of that area if it is in a public place. For example, if a slippery floor in a supermarket is not cleaned or appropriately cordoned off and someone slips then the supermarket will have acted negligently. Similarly, if you are running in a park owned by the local council and trip on a pothole or a defect on the path and suffer injury then the council will have been negligent.

Let's Talk

no obligation


There are a variety of factors which may cause a trip, slip or fall in a public place. The party responsible for the area where the accident happened owe a duty of care to the public which includes:

  • A duty to inspect, maintain and repair their property;

  • A duty to provide a safe means of access and egress;

  • A duty to provide an adequately safe environment for pedestrians/patrons;

  • A duty to ensure that appropriate lighting condition are in place;

  • A duty to ensure that visitors to their premises are protected from personal injury, loss and damage.

Failure to discharge these duties can lead to pedestrians or visitors to a particular premises sustaining personal injury by way of slipping, falling and tripping for example. Such accidents can cause a great deal of pain and stress for those involved.

How our personal injury solicitors can help

If you have been injured as a result of a defect or poor maintenance in a public place you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. When you contact our expert personal injury solicitors, they will walk you through the claims process step by step. The claims process can vary but will usually adopt the following format:

  1. Initial Consultation – You can meet with one of our personal injury solicitors so that we can take instructions on your case and advise you on your claim. We will ask you to provide us with the details you recorded at the accident scene as well as any photographs. If you do not know the owner of the premises where the accident occurred you should provide our solicitors with an address and they will try to find this out for you.

  2. Letter of claim – Your solicitor will then send a letter to the owner of the premises outlining the circumstances of the accident as per your instructions and highlighting the negligence that is being alleged. The owner of the premises is then obliged to pass this letter on to their insurance company.

  3. Engineers Inspection – Your solicitor will instruct an engineer to examine the location of the accident. The engineer will then provide a report on his findings which will usually detail whether the area was appropriately maintained and whether or not it represented a safe environment for the public.

  4. Medical Evidence – If you have been to the hospital or your GP we will obtain those notes and then arrange an appointment with a specialist medical consultant to provide a report on your injuries. In some cases, you may need to see more than one specialist if you have sustained numerous injuries.

  5. Decision on liability – The third-party insurance company should then provide their decision on liability about three months after our initial letter of claim is sent. If they admit that their insured was liable for our clients injury then we will enter in to settlement negotiations and try to recover an appropriate amount of damages for the loss you have suffered.

  6. Court Proceedings – If liability is denied then our solicitor will consult with the client and if they feel the case is worth pursuing, we will issue court proceedings and attempt to recover damages through the courts. Court proceedings can also be issued in a case where liability has been admitted if we feel the compensation being offered by the insurance company is not sufficient. Our expert solicitors will advise clients on their options, but the final decision will always be made by the client and we will ensure that their wishes are carried out.


What Steps Can I Take?

Our advice to those who are involved in an accident in a public place is to firstly seek medical attention if they are hurt, looking after your own health should always take priority. You should then seek to find out the cause of your accident. For example, there may have been a defect on a path that you were walking on that has caused you to trip.

If you are able to identify a defect or other accident cause, then you should take photographs of it immediately or soon after the accident. If the defect is a pothole measurements should also be taken. You should also make a note of any witnesses to the accident and their details. Lastly, you should seek to find out who owns the premises where the accident happened. Sometimes this will be obvious but as many details as possible should be recorded, nonetheless.

What will I receive compensation for in an accident in a public place claim?

Compensation can be awarded for a range of issues, including:

  • Pain and suffering

  • Reduction in quality of life, or being unable to enjoy normal activities

  • Psychological damage

  • Financial losses, such as loss of earnings

  • Medical expenses

  • Property damage

  • Care and assistance

How much accident in a public place compensation will I receive for myself?

It's important to note that the specific compensation you receive can vary based on the circumstances of the accident, the extent of your injuries, and the laws in your jurisdiction.

If you speak to us about your case, we will be able to give you an initial idea of the range of compensation that is generally awarded for the type of injury you have sustained.

How can I finance a personal injury compensation claim?

We know that funding a personal injury compensation claim might be a worry, so we offer a range of options. These include:

  • Legal Aid

  • Legal expenses cover

  • After the Event insurance (ATE insurance)

  • Private payment

We will be happy to discuss funding with you to find the best option for your circumstances.

What is the time limit for bringing a personal injuries compensation claim?

In Northern Ireland, the time limit for filing a personal injury claim, for an accident that took place in a public place, is generally three years from the date of the accident. This is in accordance with the Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989.

In the ROI, the time limit for bringing a personal injury claim, for an accident that occurred in a public place, is typically two years from the date of the accident or from the date when you first became aware of your injuries. The Statute of Limitations in Ireland allows for this two-year period.

Have any questions?Live ChatMail Us

Get in Touch

Speak to us with No Obligation

Our team of expert solicitors will be happy to assist you with your enquiry without any obligation to use our services. Contact us using your preferred method and we will gratefully assist.
Contact Details
Call Us From Northern Ireland
028 8772 2102Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Call Us From Republic Of Ireland
01 533 7860Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Contact Our Solicitors

Please fill out the simple form below and we will contact you as soon as possible

By submitting the form, I agree to the privacy policy.

Our Personal Injury Solicitors

Conal McGarrityConal McGarrityDirector
Seanin SomervilleSeanin SomervilleLegal Executive
SEO& Web design by Vudu