Accident Abroad Claims

Accident Abroad Claims

Accidents that occur abroad can give rise to personal injury claims, but the process can be more complex due to international and jurisdictional factors. If you've been injured in an accident while traveling or living abroad we could help you claim compensation.

Let's Talk

no obligation


Having an accident at any time is not ideal. However, the comfort of being close to friends and family is always reassuring. When an accident happens abroad it can be all the more stressful as most people will be uncomfortable in their surroundings and unsure of the law and what their rights are in a foreign country.

At P.A Duffy & Co Solicitors, we represent individuals in various accident abroad cases in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Our personal injury team are experienced, understanding and sympathetic and will work tirelessly on your behalf to secure the compensation you are owed for what has happened.

We deal with a full range of accident abroad cases, including:

Road Traffic Accidents

You may have been driving a hire car or been a passenger on a vehicle organised as part of a package holiday deal. If you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault and you sustained an injury, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

While the law may differ in foreign countries you should still follow the standard protocol for road traffic accidents. Specifically, you should exchange details with the other driver and report the accident to the police. A police report should be requested if possible. You should also take pictures of the accident and get the details of any witnesses to the accident.

If you are travelling as part of a package holiday you should report the accident to your hotel or travel representative. You should then seek legal advice as soon as possible. If you chose us to represent you our experienced personal injury solicitors can guide you through the claims process.

Slips, Trips and Falls

If you suffered injury as a result of a hazard or defect that has caused you to fall while on holiday then you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. For example, if you fall and injure yourself as a result of a slippery floor in your hotel then you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

You should firstly seek medical treatment. You should then take pictures of the accident locus and obtain details from any witnesses. You will then need to report the incident to your hotel and/or travel representative. Our expert personal injury solicitors can then help to make a claim on your behalf and will aim to recover damages for pain and suffering, as well as any medical expenses and loss of earnings incurred.

Skiing Accidents

There are risks involved with skiing and winter sports. Sometimes fault can clearly lie with the injured person if they caused injury by their own negligence. However, there are many examples of accidents happening as a result of faulty equipment, improper training or supervision and collisions with other skiers. The extreme nature of skiing means that if accidents do occur it can lead to quite serious injury and the injured party may incur significant medical expenses for example.

Many skiing holidays are booked through a travel agency in the UK or Ireland. If you have suffered an injury that wasn’t your fault, we may be able to make one or more accident abroad claims on your behalf against the travel agency for negligence and/or breach of contract. 

Contact us

Speak to our personal injury solicitors in Dungannon, Belfast and Dublin

For a consultation with one of our personal injury experts, call us on 028 8772 2102 (UK) or 01 533 7860 (IE). We will talk through your situation with you and discuss what the first steps are in bringing accident abroad injury compensation claim. We can also answer any questions you may have.

Alternatively, you can fill in our online Contact Form and we will ring you.


Should I contact my embassy or consulate after an accident abroad?

Yes, it's a good idea to contact your embassy or consulate for assistance and to report the incident.

Should I notify my insurance company when I have an accident abroad?

Yes, it's essential to inform your travel or health insurance provider to understand the coverage and process for filing a claim.

What is the statute of limitations for making a personal injury claim in a foreign country?

The statute of limitations varies by country and can be shorter or longer than what you might be familiar with in your home country. Consult our expert personal injury solicitors in order to determine the specific time frame you have to file a claim.

What if the at-fault party is from a different country?

International personal injury claims can involve cross-border issues. Our experience solicitors can help you determine the appropriate jurisdiction and legal actions to take.

Will my home country's laws apply to my personal injury claim abroad?

The laws of the country where the accident occurred usually apply to personal injury claims. However, there may be international treaties and agreements that can influence the legal process.

How is compensation determined for an accident abroad?

Compensation is determined based on factors like the severity of injuries, medical expenses, lost income, liability, and local laws. Contact our solicitors at P.A. Duffy and Co for guidance on how much compensation is typically awarded for your situation.

Is it possible to resolve the claim through negotiation, or will it go to court?

The outcome can vary. Some claims are settled through negotiation, while others may proceed to court, either in the foreign country or through international legal processes.

How long does it typically take to resolve an accident abroad claim?

The timeline can vary widely based on the complexity of the case, negotiations, and court processes. Some claims are resolved relatively quickly, while others may take years.

How can I finance an accident abroad compensation claim?

We know that funding a personal injuries compensation claim might be a worry, so we offer a range of options. These include:

  • Legal Aid

  • Legal expenses cover

  • After the Event insurance (ATE insurance)

  • Private payment

We will be happy to discuss funding with you to find the best option for your circumstances.

Have any questions?Live ChatMail Us

Get in Touch

Speak to us with No Obligation

Our team of expert solicitors will be happy to assist you with your enquiry without any obligation to use our services. Contact us using your preferred method and we will gratefully assist.
Contact Details
Call Us From Northern Ireland
028 8772 2102Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Call Us From Republic Of Ireland
01 533 7860Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Contact Our Solicitors

Please fill out the simple form below and we will contact you as soon as possible

By submitting the form, I agree to the privacy policy.

Our Personal Injury Solicitors

Conal McGarrityConal McGarrityDirector
Seanin SomervilleSeanin SomervilleLegal Executive
SEO& Web design by Vudu